Friday, December 19, 2008

Money

That's a catchy title, isn't it? Money.

Before we get back to revenues, let's talk about Money. Remember, Money is the initial investment capital you need to get a venture off the ground. Americans, it seems, have what I call a "Las Vegas mentality" when it comes to start-up capital.

Why do I invoke Las Vegas? Because it's the great, culturally acceptable American lie! What do I mean by that? Well, have you ever had friends or relatives that went to Las Vegas for a trip? Of course you have. And when they come back, they tell you one of three things:

--I broke even
--I won a little bit of money
--Oh, I won about enough to pay for my trip.

Folks, these people are full of shit! Don Trump and Steve Wynn didn't irrigate the desert and build all those buildings to contribute to your kids' college funds! People LOSE money far, far more often than not when they go to Vegas. If they were honest, they'd say, "Well, I should have brought the title to my house with me so I could have refinanced and kept on gambling while I was out there!"

And frequently, people are full of shit when they are discussing start up capital for businesses. People, it's HARD to find Money. Don't let anybody tell you anything different.

As Americans, we want to believe that, gosh darn it, I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, people like me, and I've got a GREAT, bulletproof business idea. The money will somehow BE there, right? I mean, it's America! We never let lack of money get it the way of buying houses and cars we can't afford! We'll come up with the money somehow!!!

Be forewarned. Start-up capital for entrepreneurs, for small businesses and microbusinesses, is hard to find. In all likelihood, you are going to self-finance your venture. DON'T get me started on Matthew Lesko and his bullshit about grants. I'll save that for another post, somewhere down the road.

Money is the number one reason why people fail in their attempt to get started. If you don't have money, be prepared for a very difficult, illiquid market for start-up capital. People toss around terms like "venture capital" and "angel investor" like they were nothin'...like there are people walking the streets with assloads of money that are JUST SEARCHING for business ideas...just like yours!

It's not true. Now, there are creative financing strategies out there and people to help you figure out creative ways to raise money. But it's probably not going to look anything like what you think it might look like.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!

    Research from the National Association for the Self-Employed finds that 55% of microbusiness startups and 52% of established businesses have two primary funding sources: personal savings and credit cards. For this group, access to capital often trumps access to affordable health insurance as their number one problem - depending on the headlines at the time you pose the question.

    For most small and microbusiness owners, bootstrapping is king!

    ReplyDelete